Bus service returns to normal
A work-to-rule that disrupted bus services more than a week was called off yesterday.
Chris Furbert, president of the Bermuda Industrial Union, said industrial action at the Department of Public Transportation had been lifted “effective immediately”.
Transport minister Walter Roban added: “DPT and the BIU have agreed to commence talks early next week to discuss policy issues that will assist in clarifying work practices, on both sides, going forward.”
The DPT said it was working around the clock to restore the available fleet of buses to a normal schedule inside the next 24 hours.
BIU members voted in favour of industrial action June 12.
Mr Furbert said the move was the result of anger over problems that staff felt had not been tackled by the Government.
He said some of the complaints — including the poor condition of the bus fleet — dated back “three to five years”.
The Government has said it had met with the union about the members’ concerns.
The work-to-rule resulted in hundreds of bus cancellations.
Services came to a complete halt on Monday as the island celebrated National Heroes Day.
The Government said 119 routes were cancelled before yesterday’s announcement.
Crash leaves man, 29, in serious condition
Debt limit raised to $2.75bn
Richards: I would do it all over again
Lessons for Bermuda in Bahamas tragedy?
Twenty redundancies at security firm Shield
Caroline Bay: a timeline
Bodybuilders hit jackpot at Vegas event
Grease balls make a return
Take Our Poll